Thursday, February 7, 2013

VALENTINE’S DAY



You probably guessed by the picture above that me and Valentine’s Day are not friends. If you are & are looking for mushy things for me to say about it now is probably a good time to stop reading.

Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate Valentine’s Day cause I’m single and I don’t have anyone to buy me anything or anyone to go out with or cuddle with. Even if I was all of the above I wouldn’t dislike V-Day for those reasons. No, no, no. I’m married and for most of the years that I’ve been married my husband has always bought something, even thought I’ve told him a millions times not too, it just seems like a total waste of money. The reason I hate Valentine’s Day is because

IT’S NOT A HOLIDAY!!!

It’s just a way to boost the economy.

* A dozen of roses $100, on a regular day $12….holyasswhatthefuck!!!

* A box of chocolates $20, on a regular day $5….say it with me….jeezusmotherofgawd is the economy not bad enough…this is why people are filing for bankruptcy

* Everything is red and rosy and heartsy for like 3 weeks in ALL THE STORES. I swear after V-Day is over I can’t stand the color red until May.

* We made the mistake of going out one year for V-Day. We waited for like 45 min to be seated only to be given a “Fixed Menu”, translation: crappy menu; about 5 things to get; all crappy below average meals, I think McD’s had better choices than this place not to mention our bill was outrages!


Don't misunderstand, I am romantic. I love romantic things but I don't need a "day" in a year to do it & I don't need someone to tell me when to do it. My husband and I do it when we have time, we show each other that we love each other everyday (unless we're mad at each other...no love than).

 
I just never understand what’s all the hype about it? Shouldn’t you show your partner you love them everyday? Why does spending $200 on roses and candy show me my husband loves me? Let me tell you what tells me that he loves me; cleaning the dishes, taking the kids sometimes so that I can have some “me time”, a hug and kiss in between a hectic day. Being a shitting person all year long & than doing something for V-Day doesn’t make for a good relationship. I know how much my husband loves me & I know where we have issues. Nothing he or I can do on V-Day that will change that. The only thing V-Day does is boost the economy & frankly with two kids I’m in no mood to boost the economy with a box of Rose Chocolates.












If you would like to read some other sweet and maybe not so sweet things others have to say about Theme Thursday "Valentine's Day" click on the link below.


12 comments:

  1. Oh, I HATE the fixed menus! And you have to get a reservation, and it's so busy that the food is always thrown together poorly... We NEVER go out for dinner on Valentine's Day now. And I'm starting to think that even V-Day weekend should be out, because too many people are getting hip to that, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food was awful!!! I had mushrooms & mozzarella cheese stuffed chicken...sounds good huh chicken lover...except they conveniently forgot to mention that it wasn't chicken breast but chicken leg and when I cut it open all I saw was huge chucks of FAT....it was so disgusting....it took all I had not to puke right there and then....NEVER AGAIN!!!

      Delete
  2. I agree! Even when I'm not bitter and single and all full of mean, I always said you have 364 other days of the year to show someone you love them, fuck Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed to everything in this post! I can't stand V Day...even before I was divorced I couldn't stand all the materialistic bullshit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never liked it, even when I was young and just had boyfriends, always thought it was a business holiday and I don't like anyone telling me where or when I should spend my money.

      Delete
  4. Word! You nailed it. It's just another cash cow for the retailers, those greedy bastards! I like the chocolate though. You know what the holiday is for me? The day AFTER Valentine's Day, when you can get all the candy 50% off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know about the candy business....now that I LOVE!!! Thanks for letting me know, I LOVE CHOCOLATE!

      Delete
  5. Meh. Really, all mainstream holidays are commercial manipulations. The thing is, most people don't care that they're being tricked into buying stuff because they LIKE it. They like putting up decorations and buying themed mugs and having a reason to declare a day "special." I kinda like it, and I'm a total cranky witch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that all holidays are in some way commercial manipulations. It’s up to the consumer to decide how much they want to be manipulated. As for me I do get a Christmas tree and all the decorations and I do buy gifts for my kids but that's it. I don't do decorations for other holidays not because I'm a Grinch but because I feel I can spend my money on better things. The economy being the way it is no need to spend money unnecessarily. As far as declaring a day special, I agree with that but that doesn't mean I need to spend a lot of money to make the day special. I can decided that for example Feb 15th is a special day buy chocolates, have the hubs buy flowers (if he wants) and we can all 4 go out to dinner and spend a lot less than on Feb 14th. A day is special when you make it special not when businesses think it should be special and then yank up the prices like crazy, there’s nothing special about having an empty wallet.
      Of course there are ways to make a holiday special without spending a lot. So I’m sure there are a lot of people that love V-Day but don’t spend a lot & I’m sure they have a great time. As I mentioned in my post the hubs and I make that day special (if we can with two kids) and make dinner at home and it costs us a lot less. I personally don’t need the fancy box of chocolates, fluffy teddy bear or dozen of roses just on that day. I don’t buy into commercial manipulations on this particular holiday but whoever does I don’t judge…to each its own and people can and will do whatever makes them happy. This is just my opinion.

      Delete
  6. Yes to everything! I hate all the hype! At least the car companies haven't taken it over yet with mega sales like President's Day and big red bows like at Christmas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that I think about it I'm actually shocked that they don't advertise...shhhh, lets not give them any ideas :)))

    ReplyDelete