Thursday, May 2, 2013

Parenting my way

Traditional vs. non-traditional parenting. I’m not sure which my husband and I are. I guess it depends on the person looking at us.  I think we mix a little of both depending what the situation is. I’ve compiled a list of the ways we parent our children and you decide if it’s traditional or non-traditional. This list barley scratches the surface but you get the idea.
  1. I try to be as honest a possible with my kids. Yes there is a Santa Clause. No you cannot fly even thought you think your Superman.
  2. I curse in front of my kids. I try not to do it often but sometimes it slips out or I’m just so frustrated by a situation I have no choice
  3. As of the last 3 months my kids mostly sleep in their own beds. Once a week they will sleep with me. Until 3 months ago my oldest slept with us in the same bed since the day he was born and the little one in his crib attached to our bed
  4. What I make the kids will eat. I don’t do separate meals for the kids and us. I have a friend who used to cook 3-4 different dinners every night to accommodate her husband, her two sons and herself. That will never happen at my house! I want my kids to get their taste buds use to all kinds of foods so that when they grow up they’re not living on chicken nuggets, pizza & hot dogs. Oh and also WTF? 4 dinners every night? This woman (even though she's my friend and I love her) clearly has way too much time on her hands
  5. We’re trying to teach our kids to be good kids. Bullying is never an option. I’ve always told my kids that making fun of someone is not ok and if I ever catch them do it I will call them out and make sure that they know there were being little shits and this is not ok. At the same time I’m trying to teach them never to allow to be bullied and if someone does they should be comfortable telling us and then you better believe it mommy will take care of it.
  6. Always use words before your fists but if someone hits you first than by all means hit them back. This applies to woman also. No girl has a right to hit my son just because he’s a guy. Fair is fair. He won’t hit you as long as you don’t hit him.
  7. Always respect girls. Never call a girl a bitch or worst (or at least not to her face cause let’s face it girls we can be bitches)
  8. We try to teach them that even thought we love them the most in this world and most of the people that we know are good there are some really bad people in this world. Don’t assume that no one will ever hurt you.
  9. Things will not be served to your on a silver spoon. You want something you have to work for it.
  10. Mommy and daddy as long as we’re alive will always be there for you no matter what. We will support you in anything you decide to do in life. We will always be your greatest fans and will help you in any way we can…always!


Did you like this post? Reading comments makes me happy, leave a comment make a blogger happy.

I'm on Facebook and Twitter. Come and join me
FB: Things That Happen Everyday
Twitter: TTHEveryday

 

This post is part of ABC's of Swearing Challenge.




This post is part of Theme Thursday. Clink on the link to see how other bloggers are parenting.


9 comments:

  1. Love this! Sounds very similar to how I see us raising our 3 month old. Right now I don't really have too many rules for him except don't wake mommy up at 3am which he SUCKS at. Oh Well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it makes you feel any better my oldest woke up every 2 hours for the first 7 months. Every Day!! See you do feel better!

      Delete
  2. OMGosh I LOVE this! and totally agree no bullying ever. It's a big deal, even at 1 we discipline this kind of behavior, but also we will also say hit back. Not being a bully does not equal being anyone's punching bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, my kids are not going to be anyones punching bags or I'm going to use someone as a punching bag

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are doing a good job :) I especially like that honesty means there IS a Santa Claus- we need some imagination :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't want to crush their dreams. Santa Clause, Tooth Fairy they're all part of childhood.

      Delete
  4. I love this on so many levels. We have a lot in common, besides being kickass bloggers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post. It's honest, and I agree with pretty much everything. Except the swearing, but that's only because when it has slipped I have suffered some pretty strong consequences. Like the time I stubbed my toe and my 4 year old said "Mommy, say Dammit! It will make you feel better!" Happy to find your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete