Thursday, November 8, 2012

What I would say to my 16 year old self

Some months ago I read a blog (I can’t remember which one so I’m sorry I can’t give credit) about what I would say to my younger self. It got me thinking and here are the 16 things I would say to my 16yr old self if I could.

1.      Dating a 22yrd old is not cool; it makes him a child molester…period

2.      Don’t even think about smoking. They’re not cool, they cost a fortune and it will take you many years to come to your senses and try to quit and that shit is so hard to do

3.      Finish school and by school I mean college…get a degree, a high school diploma will get you nowhere

4.      You are not an adult and you don't know everything. Stop acting like you are….you look stupid

5.      When you have kids your house is going to be messy and your kids will not listen to everything you say

6.      There is nothing better in life than hearing your child say mama for the first time

7.      Getting married and having kids is not a guarantee that you will get to stay home, many woman work. This goes back to #3

8.      Your mom will not help you when you’re an adult, don’t count on her (this is probably a post of its own…someday)

9.      Go visit the Twin Towers they won’t be there forever

10.  Showing your stomach may seem cool now but that shit will come back to bite you in the ass when you’re older and you back hurts when it gets a little cold outside… cover yourself girl, I'm dying over here

11.  You’ll get your heart broken, its ok, its all part of life

12.  Wearing designer brands is not the most important thing and when you have kids you won't be able to afford it anyway

13.  You have great friends, they will be a great support system for you when you need them and you’ll be theirs

14.  People that you know will die and you will cry a lot but its all part of life so enjoy your time with them before its too late

15.  Life is hard

16.  Sometimes the little things will matter the most



5 comments:

  1. I wish we could not only say these things to our 16 year old selves, but go back and smack ourselves upside the head. Nah, that probably wouldn't have worked either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man I hope not. That really scares me. I did some really stupid things and thank goodness nothing bad ever happened to me but it makes me want to lock up my kids until they're 35 just thinking about all the trouble they could get into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome list, but I agree, I think my stupid 16 year old self would have been to stubborn even if faced with the thirty year old version of herself saying "no really, trust me, it's a bad idea..."

    I am a recent follower, but I love it here! So much so that as a “gee, aren’t you glad I am here now” gift I am giving you an award, the Sunshine Award. While this award promotes readership it can be a bit like chain mail, so it’s cool if you don’t want to “accept” it, it won’t hurt my feelings. Too much. *sniff sniff* Anyway, the details are on my blog today if you are interested. Either way, I will keep reading ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure this will also apply to when we're 50 we'll have things to say to our 30yrs old.

    AND thank you, thank you. My first award!!! I'm so much more than honored and thank you (I said this already, please don't take the award away). WOW this is great! I would be honored to accept it and will pass is along to other I feel deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, but the question is, would your 16yo self LISTEN when you told her to stay away from the 22yo?

    ReplyDelete